Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Beginning is half finishing...

Desperate House Geek
Why the title?
Well, I am a software developer, with a well respected IT job in London.

I commute to London one day a week and the rest of the week I work from home and some of you may already know this that working from home can be hard. Especially after the first five years.

I have a large number of responsibilities at my day job but in my heart I still think that I am a software developer.

Lately, I have been taking a great interest in the Raspberry Pi. The extremely affordable computer.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs




There is something innocent about the Pi. It takes me to my younger days when computing was my greatest fascination ever. I remember how I would be completely lost in the detail. I remember my first computer, a Casio PB300.






Yes this was the first computer I actually owned. It is barely bigger than a hand calculator. I remember that my father was very disappointed with this tiny device. He thought a computer should be bulkier.

Over the years I have had many other computers, including Sinclairs, PCs. There are 12 PCs in this household right now. I spent most of my life working with PCs and I guess I enjoyed most of it :) And my fascination with computers was always there.

But over the years my relationship with my childhood fascination turned first into my craft then to my work. I am sure many professional software developers have similar experiences.

So when I heard about the Raspberry Pi, I was very anxious to get my hands on to one. Although I was one of the very first people to place an order I still ended up waiting for a long time. Now they are available for everyone and I already have 4 devices here anyway.

I love my Raspberry Pi. It takes me to my childhood. Amazingly I can still lose myself in that world. I still feel the excitement in running a compiler, starting an app I wrote, that sort of thing. The developers will understand.

Anyway, I am not sure if I am a good writer. Maybe it is too pretentious. Besides English is not my first language. My writings: to me, they sound like the mutterings of a geek. A desperate geek! If so, at least I am getting my message across :)

Over the next few days, weeks, whatever I will try and write about Raspberry Pi, feeding the geek within and general nonsense like that...


3 comments:

  1. Very good idea and nice to read. The idea with the raspberry I had too. But the IO extend with arduino is very good. But I test it at the moment with the program mocp.
    Debian is running with mp3 files/streams. But Fedora is a lot of faster booting but without support for mp3.

    ReplyDelete